For businesses small and large, quality cybersecurity is increasingly becoming one of the main ways to keep your business running smoothly and safely. This is especially true as more and more business is conducted online. October is cybersecurity awareness month, so it’s the perfect time to make sure your business is up to date on the latest cybersecurity threats and knows how to protect against them.
See Yourself in Cyber
The main theme of cybersecurity awareness month this year is “see yourself in cyber.” This means that cybersecurity isn’t just about the technology – it’s about the people too. Every member of your organization plays a role in keeping your cybersecurity infrastructure strong.
From enabling multi-factor authentication to using strong passwords, to recognizing and reporting phishing attempts, everyone can help keep your business safe from cyber threats. Sometimes shifting focus to cybersecurity requires a culture change.
Whether it’s implementing new policies or training employees on cybersecurity best practices, making cybersecurity a priority for your business is essential to protecting against cyber threats. If you’re looking for ways to shift your company focus, here are some tips:
- Create a cybersecurity task force or working group: This is a great way to get different departments involved in cybersecurity and to ensure that everyone is on the same page.
- Make cybersecurity part of your company’s values: Incorporating cybersecurity into your company values helps make it a priority for everyone in the organization.
- Implement security awareness training: Security awareness training can help employees learn about cybersecurity threats and how to protect against them.
Four Things You Can Do to Increase Cybersecurity
For cybersecurity awareness month and beyond, there are some basic things you can do to increase cybersecurity for your business.
- Enabling MFA: Multi-factor authentication (MFA) adds an extra layer of security by requiring more than just a password to log in, and is proven to prevent 99.9% of data breaches. This makes it significantly more difficult for hackers to gain access to your accounts.
- Using Strong Passwords: Using strong passwords – and changing them regularly – is one of the simplest and most effective ways to protect your accounts from being hacked. A strong password should be at least eight characters long and include a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
- Recognizing and Reporting Phishing: Phishing is a type of cyber attack that uses fraudulent emails or websites to trick people into giving up sensitive information like passwords or credit card numbers. Recognizing and reporting phishing attempts can help protect your business from being hacked.
- Updating Software: Keeping your software up-to-date is one of the best ways to protect your business from cybersecurity threats. Outdated software can have security vulnerabilities that hackers can exploit to gain access to your systems.
How Axion Can Help You Stay Safe
At Axion, we understand how important cybersecurity is for businesses of all sizes, whether it’s cybersecurity awareness month or any other month during the year. We offer a wide range of cybersecurity services designed to help businesses stay safe from cyber threats. From managed security services to cybersecurity consulting, we can assess your cybersecurity needs and implement solutions to keep your business safe. Contact us today to learn more about our cybersecurity services.